Manufacturing representatives can be a very important person for the success of any manufacturing company. It is important to find a representative that is reliable and knowledgeable. There are many great qualities that a representative should possess including integrity, knowledge and communication are important in the business world.
The manufacturing representative has many tasks that need to be handled. Such tasks require personal attributes that not everyone possesses. Manufacturing representatives may be in the service of individuals, companies, or firms. Regardless of the representation you choose, there are some traits that you should look for. The representative’s business knows how important it is for a company to have the best representatives in their area of operation.
Most companies hire the representatives because it is a cost effective method of sourcing labor and giving the customer the attention they need. Meaning they do not have to commit any of their employees to one specific area. This service is common for small companies and startups that do not have the structure to handle all activities, especially in businesses that they are attempting to enter.
There are some evolving features that every manufacturing representative should have to excel in their line of work. These include:
- Compassion: A great sales representatives needs to be compassionate. Most people think of the sales industry, as a place where there are some adages that are quite replete such as sales people do not care what they sell as long as they sell. It is important to note that people are becoming more and more aware of the products around them. As such, consumers are more sensitive and want to know more about what they are buying before they actually buy it. A customer will therefore assess whether you are sincere or not. They need to feel that the agent has their best interest in mind.
- Emotional intelligence: Emotional intelligence is an essential pay of being a manufacturer representative. It ensures success to great levels. When you lack intelligence skills, then you may not be able to close the gap that exists between doing and knowing. A lot of research has been conducted on this topic and it is quite clear that emotional intelligence is actually linked directly to sales and career success. B2B purchases are usually rational. However, emotions are a part of our interaction as humans and this includes the consultative and persuasive art that is sales. We can define emotional intelligence as the ability to manage and read emotions, make a connection with other people, and then use the information to control emotions especially when dealing with stressful situations. When you know what the buyer feels and what motivates them, then you will have more power.
- Responsibility: This is a foundation and a guide for every manufacturer rep. The best reps have a great reputation in delivering what they promise. They should be straight shooters and they call things as they are. When you are responsible for what you sell, it builds trust with your customer. This is one of the reasons why a manufacturer’s rep should promote products that he or she completely believes is the best for that particular customer. By believing in your product misrepresentation will be completely avoided.
- Self-driven: Self driven employees motivate themselves to perform at the highest level everyday. They are the hardest workers and best representatives for their company because of their ability to perform. When you are self-driven, it means that you have great confidence and knowledge allowing yourself to outperform competitors with competitive intelligence. Being self-driven means that you can instill product confidence in the buyers and create a reliable relationship.
- Discipline: Ambition is what most people think about when they are describing the best sales representative. However, without discipline, ambition can be strayed in the wrong direction. This is the case for manufacturer’s reps who work independently and that have set schedules and are responsible for being a channel to buyers. The best sales representatives should be self-motivatated and have time management skills. A sales rep should make tracking their personal performance a priority. Setting high goals for one self creates accountability.